Thursday, October 29, 2009

A photograph is not an accident – it is a concept.

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

Submitted by S. Rigg from Idaho

Thank you to Ansel Adams for today’s post title.  Got my first batch of photos today.  I’m pretty happy with the results so far.  Nothing was done to the above picture.  Just copy and paste. 

I’ll show one from each of the five states today.  Feel free to leave comments (including what you like and don’t like about each photo).  I will be ask the photographers themselves about titles, but feel free to offer any suggestions you might have. 

IN (1)a

Submitted by Nina Yoshida Nelsen from Indiana.

This photo from Indiana was interesting to me for a couple of reasons.  The graininess of the photo makes it seem older (as does the style of house).  Also, I like the light at what I think is dusk settling in at the end of the day (or it could be early morning for all I know).  I had to slightly rotate this picture since it wasn’t level and had to do some slight cropping, but overall unchanged.

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

Submitted by Stephen Grant from Oklahoma. 

I’m not familiar with the statue in the picture above, but I liked the symmetry between the bald statue and the bald man touching the statue. 

Autosave-File vom d-lab2/3 der AgfaPhoto GmbH

Submitted by H. Wang from Oregon.

Lot of things going on here.  I like the texture here in the photo.  You want to touch it (or at least I do).  Even the wall texture begs to be touched.  No edits on this photo.  

TX (2)

Submitted by Darlene Murphy from Texas.

Now I know Darlene took this photo, but I like how it looks like a how four-year old would be staring longingly at a merry-go-round.  “Mommy, can I pleeeeeease go on the merry-go-round"?”  The picture appears from their height perspective.  The chain link fence at first appears like a distraction, but I think it helps brings you closer and also is used as a tease (as in you can’t get on the ride).  Great demonstration of not letting the tool (a simple disposable camera) limit your creativity. 

1 comment:

  1. WOW!! Okay, so my previous assumptions that good photos could not possibly come from disposeable cameras has now gone out the window. These are amazing shots!!! And I love your commentary on them, Allen, because you see and point out things that I didn't see or notice (like the bald head of the statue and the bald man). Wow, I can't wait to see everything that comes in. This project was such a great idea!!

    ReplyDelete